Thursday, September 4, 2008

Musing: Barbara

Right here, right now I want to acknowledge that Maddie Mulvaney's blog persistingstars.blogspot.com helped me feel comfortable with the seed of an idea and pursue it to completion. Visiting her blog and eventually posting comments inspired me and made me feel easier about blogging. SOOO ... I shout out a "thank you" to Maddie! (You should visit her blog, really. The photos are so cool.)

When I clicked that "publish" button for the first post. I was rather excited because I had found a way to give one of my characters, Melissa, a voice. She popped up in a plot-line I developed several years ago and now I am learning more about her. While I know the bare bones of Melissa's story the dream journal idea for the posts means that her story unfolds bit by bit.

I love a good mystery an
d I think Melissa's is going to be compelling.

The inspiration to write Melissa's material as entries in a dream journal came from the William Butler Yeats poem "The Circus Animals' Desertion." Being Irish he knew dreams hold "Heart-mysteries." He knew what many other cultures, including Native American, knew about dreams. (The Australian aborigines believe the world was sung into existence by their ancestors during the Dreamtime.)


When I resolved to write that post I "sought a theme" and soon I had the image of a rose growing in a wasteland against all odds. I imagined the last portion of "The Circus Animals' Desertion" because even among "the sweepings of a street" I felt hope.

I did wonder what image to use to portray Melissa's choice to walk toward the unknown. I remembered something from a college course, PSYC 001: a baby being coaxed to cross a glass floor, suspended over a multi-level area, to get to its mother. A very difficult task and I thought a glass bridge might be a rough equivalent for Melissa.
Just a day or two after I published the first post I stumbled across this abandoned building while I was taking photos in town. It gave me the same feeling as the warehouse in Melissa's dream.

Well, we'll see what dreams may come!

2 comments:

BrianC said...

I love old warehouses like this - bricks and arched windows. There are lots of buildings like this in New York City, especially Brooklyn. Now you should revisit the building under different conditions - late afternoon sun, a rainy day, etc. - and see how it changes (and take photos!).

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Thanks! I do plan to go back and do as you suggested. I took a lot of pictures and there are still so many I want to get ... warehouses, river, train bridges, a 19th c. cemetery .. It's a treasure-trove out there, and when you multiply it by all the different conditions ... wow...